Blackboard Collaborate - Product Overview
This document provides information about the Blackboard Collaborate (previously referred to as Elluminate Live!) web conference product and describes some of the features.
What is Blackboard Collaborate?
Blackboard, Inc. acquired two leading providers of synchronous and collaboration technologies, Elluminate Live! and Wimba Classroom, during the summer of 2010. The result of the acquisition is a newly branded product named Blackboard Collaborate, which provides a platform for supporting synchronous web-based sessions. Those accustomed to web conferencing products (e.g., Adobe Connect) will find the features to be familiar (listed below) and those that haven't had a chance to use the product will find that it offers a suite of easy to use features that are common in many web conferencing solutions.
What are the main features?
Blackboard Collaborate is a highly customizable cross platform product that features:
- Live and recorded audio/video
- Screen and application sharing
- Content presentations
- Interactive polling
- Public/private text chat
- Attendance list
- Mobile access for IOS and Android devices
In addition, the service offers the following:
- Full integration with Learn@UW
- Full integration with UW Madison Portal
- Capability for integration with Moodle. (Contact your Moodle administrator to determine if Blackboard is available)
- Hosting from Blackboard
- No license cost to users
Use on campus
Blackboard Collaborate can be used to facilitate:
- Synchronous web-based conferences
- Faculty/TA office hours
- Peer-to-peer tutoring
- Research group collaboration
- Recording lectures, conferences, and presentations
How do I get an account?
Blackboard Collaborate is available to all faculty and staff at UW Madison.
Faculty and Staff can access Blackboard Collaborate via the UW Madison Portal. For more information about activating web-conferencing in the portal please see this kb doc. https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=32625