Office 365 (Thunderbird) - Configure Thunderbird
This document explains how to connect to the Office 365 service.
Configure Thunderbird for Office 365
- Launch Thunderbird. If you have no other accounts configured, you will be prompted to configure a new account. Otherwise, click on Tools | Account Settings | Account Actions | Add Mail Account
- On the Mail Account Setup window, enter the following for each field:
- Your name: Your name as you'd like it to appear
- Email Address: -
- NetID Account: Enter the primary address of your NetID account which will take one of the following forms: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Service Account: Enter the primary address of your Service account which will take one of the following forms: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: if you don't know whether you are attempting to configuring a NetID account or a Service account, please contact your domain administrator or the DoIT HelpDesk.
- Password: Enter the password for your account
- Click Continue
- Thunderbird should automatically discover and fill in the server settings necessary for your account seen below:
- Click Advanced Config to confirm the creation of your account. This should take you to your accounts tab. If you see your newly configured account in the left-hand column you can simply press the red X in the top right of the window.
- Setup is complete. Email data will take some time to sync.
Important: Please complete these steps before using your Thunderbird client.
- Reconfigure folder mapping:
Clients configured using Microsoft Exchange protocol use different folders for some of the primary mail folders. For consistency, we highly recommend that you configure Thunderbird to use these same folders. This will make it less confusing if you also use the web client for Office 365 or a different desktop client that is using the Exchange protocol.
- Right-click on your Office 365 account and select "Subscribe..." from the drop-down menu.
- Place a check-mark within the box next to each of these folders: "Drafts | Deleted Items | Sent Items".
- Click Subscribe button.
- Click OK button.
- Right-click on your Office 365 account and select "Settings..." from the drop-down menu.
- Under your Office 365 account, select "Server Settings".
- Within 'Server Settings | When I delete a message' section, select "Move it to this folder:" and use the text box next to this setting to select the "Deleted Items" folder.
- Under your Office 365 account, select "Copies & Folders".
- Within 'When sending messages, automatically | Place a copy in:' section, select "Other" and use the text box next to this setting to select the "Sent Items" folder within your Office 365 account.
- Make sure "Drafts" folder is selected within your Office 365 account under 'Drafts and Templates'.
- Click the OK button.
- Restart Thunderbird
- Disable the adaptive junk mail controls:
- Click on the email address you just configured in the left-hand pane.
- Click on View settings for this account.
- Click Junk Settings from the left-hand option pane.
- Uncheck the box for Enable adaptive junk mail controls for this account.
- Click the OK button.
Remember: the Global Address List (GAL) will only contain Office 365 accounts. Therefore, you may still need access to the Campus Directory (Whitepages) to find the person you are searching for.
Use these instructions to configure the Campus Directory (Whitepages) within this client.